Thursday, June 25, 2009

No Exit


Yesterday, I had a small adventure at work. It seems that a sparrow had incorrectly sought haven in the lobby of our building. What the bird did not figure on was that the lobby has 2 floors worth of windows that mimic opening to the outside world. Once inside, the bird could not find his way out again.

A message went out to the building manager. Could he come and save this beast from further harm? Unfortunately, he was not to be found. Women and men alike looked at each other inquisitively. What was to be done?! Who could be called?!

Ok, it was not that dramatic. I walked into the lobby and saw the bird. I asked reception, yes, the building manager had been called.

After witnessing the sparrow crash into windows several times, I decided to be of help before the bird ended up with a misshapen head.

With the front door open I maneuvered the bird until I knew my next move would chase him directly toward the door. It did until the last moment when the little beastie broke a sharp left up the stairwell. Into the second floor. Away from the door.

My next attempt was to get the bird to go back down the stairs. It out-thunk me by flying around me into the lobby of our offices upstairs. Another loss, but within that loss, a small opportunity. In this much smaller space, perhaps I could capture the littler tweeter and thereby set him FREE!

Well, the sparrow, finding himself in a smaller space, doubled his efforts to get away. He did this in part by banging off the walls in an attempt to find an exit. He spied a window and thinking that it was his escape flew into it at full speed. I was sure that the ker-thunk he made could be heard throughout the building. But no, he was not done. Certain that he merely had not hit the window hard enough to get through, the bird took another bang at it…and dropped to the ledge.

I quickly picked him up, found him to be alive, and after a very brief display to the receptionist, I took the bird out front and gently set him on the entry walkway. I expected it to fly off the moment I released it. I was mistaken. It laid there doing about 2000 breaths a minute. I waited. No movement other than rapid breathing. I waited some more. No change.

I couldn’t stay but I couldn’t leave the bird laying there with a massive concussion to be stepped on by any passing worker. My solution was to set him on a small concrete wall next to some plants. Guiltily I left.

My memory took me back to when I was 10, had cold cocked a pigeon with a ball, had found it alive but motionless. I thought to find safety for it between 2 garages. When I came back an hour later the bird was gone except for hundreds of feathers where he once had lain.

Back in the present, it was five minutes later. I looked out the window, and he was still there but at least he had lifted his head by now. Another check ten minutes later and the sparrow was no longer there. As there was no blood or feathers in the vicinity, I assumed he made it.

So there it was. I had rescued a bird. But I wondered if he would have been better off be allowed to figure out the front door by himself or if I had indeed rendered him a service. Oh well, a super-hero should never second guess him self.

Know what else is super? Diskeeper. It keeps you computer fast and healthy. Find out more at:
http://www.diskeeper.com/aboutus/aboutus.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment