Monday, May 4, 2009

Is It Good For You?

We all have pet peeves. For some of us it is careless drivers (insert your own name for them here). For others it is noisy kids, or in-laws or nosey neighbors. I must admit I have some pet peeves. Most recently, I have found a new one. It is people who say, “It’s all good!”

Ok, maybe I’m too much of a pessimist or maybe I get too literal. But when someone says to me, “It’s all good”, I often ask, “Oh really, the war in Iraq is all good, how about the kid that just got kidnapped or perhaps the way prescription drugs are being abused by kids and adults? Is all of that GOOD?”

Right about then, someone mutters about what downer I am and it’s just a saying, you know…

You know, they’re right. I have this idea that we should say what we mean and that we can get overly glib about what we say. I guess I really wonder if this new catch-phrase is representative of how we currently close our eyes to what is going on around us. This world is no-where perfect and there is much we can do to fix it starting in how we treat each other. I just don’t think we will really do so if we take for granted what is good and what is not.

There’s lot of good stuff. My kids when they play sports or even better when they mind their mother. That’s good. When high school kids reach out to their neighborhoods and clean them up or help the elderly, that’s good. When people get together to build a house for low income people, that’s good. When my boss’ baby smiles and laughs at me for no good reason. That’s good.

The way that some products really work the way they are supposed to work. That’s good. Like Diskeeper.

See what others have to say about Diskeeper at:
http://www.diskeeper.com/products/reviews/search.aspx

4 comments:

  1. "It" is always good. If it isn't good, it isn't it. Bad stuff has two letters in front of the word "it" and is the first word in the phrase "____happens." Hope this clears things up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. products that work are rare, and yes, good.

    i've never really had that peeve, but i understand where you're coming from. because people definitely take life too lightly now. everything is a joke, everything is just fun fun fun, and if it's not fun then it's not worth it. sometimes people just need to slow down and reflect. i mean there's no reason to be down all the time, but you can't just slide through life unaware.

    by the way, "glib" is an awesome word. i had never heard it before reading this post, but i looked it up, and hopefully i will remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally I want to scream every time someone says 'Back in the day.' *shudders*

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's all good, Ernest.

    ReplyDelete