Friday, May 29, 2009

Writer's Glut


Those of you that follow this blog or even stumble upon it from time to time may have noticed a span of a couple of weeks were nothing was written by me. I thought I might take the time to explain.

A couple of weeks ago I ran across the story on Miss California and how she might lose her crown. It was followed by her retaining the crown and the young lady being absolved of the controversial pictures and comment/actions on gay marriage. To my mind, this was the fodder for something interesting especially Mr. Trump’s comment that "If her beauty wasn't so great no one really would have cared."

To be honest, it was too fertile a story. I have limited time to write this blog and the first day I had it about 2/3s written when I ran out of time. That was fine, I would finish it the next day I told myself.

However the next day, I found I had a different angle on it and did some more research and started to write the new (different) blog only to run out of time. But that was fine, I now had what I wanted to write and could finish up the blog the following day.
This went on for two more days!
Each time I found myself looking at this story from a different perspective. In the end, I decided to lay it to rest and look for something else. Then I got very busy and was unable to get back to it until a couple of days ago.

But all of this put something in perspective for me. If I had just finished the blog story the first day it would be done. I might have changed my mind the next day, but that could have been a different story to tell.

There was a time I thought there was just only so much one could write about. Once you have written about it, you were done. There was nothing else to say. I figured this must be where writers got writer’s block.

So I learned that one can have too much to write about and that one can have so much to write about that one can be undecided about what to write. I think I’ll call it Writer’s Glut.
The answer is to just write. Get it all out there, say what one meant to say AND then get on with it.
Speaking of glut, if you are tired of Fragmentation glut, the solution for this is Diskeeper. You don’t have to worry about Diskeeper being a glut on your resources. With InvisiTasking, you don’t even notice it is there.
Find out more here: http://www.diskeeper.com/blog/post/2008/12/01/Diskeeper-2009-is-Here!.aspx

2 comments:

  1. I agree the answer is just to write what comes naturally to you... you can always put up different versions of the same story and let the readers decide what they like...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm, i've never thought about that. i definitely would have just rewritten a whole new post. i'm one to tear pages out of old notebooks if i don't like what i wrote, but i suppose that any one thing you write about is as important and valuable as another.

    ReplyDelete